The Canadian National Jewellers Association (CNJA), as it was first known, was established on September 25, 1918. The first official Executive Committee Meeting was held on February 19th, 1919 at the Toronto Board of Trade with Mr M.C. Ellis as Chairmen. At that time, the Association boasted a membership of 157 members following just five months of operation. On the agenda were two key issues - how to grow the membership to truly reflect a national organization and how to assist the Canadian consumer by influencing the Government of Canada to repeal the punitive excise tax on Canadian jewellery sales.
[A version of this material originally appeared in the February 2018 issue of Jewellery Business magazine.]